Thursday, July 29, 2010

Unemployment Line

Everytime I told people that I was moving to New York, the response was usually the same: "Woah! How cool!  That's awesome!!" (long pause) "So... how are you going to... do you... have... money?"  In my head, it seemed simple.  I would just move up there and get a service industry job like everyone else.  I waited tables in high school, and I remember bringing home a ton of money.  It didn't occur to me that I was IN high school... still living with my mom, eating her homecooked meals, and not a single bill in my name. Well on Tuesday, reality finally set in.  I did the whole rent (plus) iPhone (plus) metro card (plus) laundromat (plus) groceries (minus) anything remotely fun, and realized I am now officially a starving artist... well technically just starving; I don't know if I get the title 'artist' yet. 

Anyways, Barbic is going to be cutting me off in about 15 days, so the job search is on.  I spent all day Wednesday stopping in restaurants and asking for applications.  My strategy is to stay in the Time Sqaure district because those restaurants are most likely going to be crowded all day long, any day of the week.  Full tables =  full pockets.  I was pretty caught off guard when some of the managers told me that they don't have applications, but I could drop my resume off with them.  What?!?! Since when do you need a resume to carry plates?  Nevertheless, I whipped up a restaurant-friendly resume and printed it at Kinko's the next day.  So far the list includes: Planet Hollywood, Olive Garden, Tony's, The Brooklyn Diner, Dallas BBQ, Dave n Busters, Bond 45, World Terrace Club, La Bonne Bouffe, a catering company, a volunteer coordinator at church, a marketing firm position, a SAT tutor, a cupcake 'rockstar' (direct quote), a designer sunglass model, a bike messenger... do I really need to continue?

I know it will all work out!  I'm excited to see what I end up with!

Prayer Request: That I find a job that's flexible and lucrative enough to allow me to: 1) prioritize my dance classes, 2) keep me off the subways late at night, 3) hang out with friends that visit on weekends, and 4) cover my basic expenses with a little extra to actually explore and enjoy this new city. 

1 comment:

  1. Rachael, I LOVE your blog. So fun to see where the Lord is taking you with this journey! Thanks for keeping us posted on life. Miss you so much!

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete